Sunday 21 July 2013

A cake to order

I have enjoyed making cakes for friends and family, but when I was asked to do an anniversary cake for a complete stranger and be paid for it, that was a different kettle of fish.
The lady wanted a square cake with a white background and silver icing. Plain and simple. Anyone who decorates cakes will know that silver and gold are not as simple as other colours. They would come out more grey and yellow using food colouring. So after some investigation I found some silver dust and instructions for what to do. I love google and you tube!
The lady wanted sponge cake so I could only make it a couple of days before which meant the pressure was on as I would normally make a fruit cake and give myself plenty of time to 'play'. The first day I made the sponge cake, waited until it was cool and then butter iced it. I then made some white hearts and painted them silver with the dust I had acquired.  Following day I covered the cake in white fondant icing and smoothed it out as best I could (I'm not an expert at this yet). I then piped on the writing and decoration, waited for it to dry and then carefully painted on the silver to finish it off.
It looks such a simple cake and every time I look at the photo I think 'why did it take so long, there's nothing to it?'. It took me the best part of two days to do and I was so relieved to get rid of it to the customer.
She was pleased with it, so I was happy.
All the best
Stell

No comments:

Post a Comment